Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Happy Birthday to Oliver

Dear Oliver,

My whole life I wanted to be a mother.  When I was little, I was always the mommy when my friends and I played house.  I played with dolls until I was probably too old, because I loved pretending to have kids.  I started babysitting when I was 11 years old, and kept at it until I was 25.  I've always adored children and was so excited to have my own someday.  So after waiting for years and years, you made my dream come true, and one year ago at this very moment, I finally had my very own baby to love.

I honestly can't believe a whole year has passed us by.  So many wonderful things have happened.  Your daddy and I have watched you grow and learn before our very eyes.  It's hard to believe at one time you were only 8 pounds.  We could change your diaper without a struggle.  You were so tiny and couldn't hold your head up on your own.  You loved to cuddle and would cling to us.  You would fall asleep in our arms no matter where we were, nothing distracting you from that sweet slumber.

Today, you are active and busy, and so curious.  You hate sitting still for diaper changes.  You bounce around and move your shoulders side to side when you hear music.  You love to flirt and entertain people with your fake coughs, high-pitched screams and pretend burps.  You are independent and don't like to be held for long.  The world around you is WAY more exciting than sleep, and if something has your attention you will fight that nap for as long as you can.  But, you are also a very sweet little boy, and when you are tired or in the right mood, you will let me cuddle you.  You wrap your arms around my neck and give me kisses.  When daddy feeds you at night, you gently stroke his arm and run your fingers through his facial hair.  You are so loving, and just a beautiful human being.  I adore you and that toothless grin of yours.  I love your long eye lashes, and those big puppy dog eyes that look just like your dad's.  I can't get enough of your perfect baby smell.  I love how you love your daddy, and how he melts when he sees you after a long day of work.  You have strengthened our marriage, and made us better people.  We love each other more than ever, all because of YOU.

One year ago you made me a mommy, and I couldn't feel more settled.  I know my role in this world is to be your mother.  I love you unconditionally and am so glad you chose me to be your mom.

I love you, little boo.
Your Mama

2 comments: