Thursday, April 16, 2009

First ultrasound!

Here's our baby, the gummy bear!Today was surreal. John and I got to the hospital for our ultrasound around 9am. Paula the sonographer called us back and I laid down on the exam table while John sat right next to me. I looked up and noticed a screen hung from the ceiling so I could see everything that was going on (so cool!) She went to work and breezed past the baby quickly and said "There's the baby, we'll save that for the end and I'll show some other things first." My heart skipped a beat as I said, "Oh good, so there is a baby?!" She laughed and said, "Yes, it's there with a heartbeat and eveything." Yay! She showed me my uterus, ovaries and bladder then took some measurements and made sure everything was where it was suppose to be. Then came the best part. She zoomed in and showed us our little one! We laughed because it looks so weird. We thought its' head was actually its feet, but we were wrong. The dark spot there (which looks like an empty space between legs) is actually the developing brain. She measured the baby (1.5 cm) and said I looked to be about 7 weeks, 6 days along, due November 27th!! After that, she zoomed in a bit and we could see this itty bitty pulsating part on the baby, and she turned the volume up on the machine... Then came the heartbeat. A tiny and quick heartbeat at a healthy 167 bpm. As expected, I burst into tears. I knew it would be an amazing sound, but I had no clue how awesome it would be. I looked over at John and he had the biggest smile on his face! It was such a special moment that I will never forget.

After the ultrasound, we met with Dr. Grant. I want to be her best friend! This woman is amazing. She is so comforting and smart, and said to us a few times, "This is great. We are going to have a fun time together!" She even hugged us goodbye. And if you know us, you know we love hugs! John and I left feeling super happy and confident, and we can't wait for the next ultrasound on July 9th. I'll have two other appointments (May 12th and June 11th) between now and then with Dr. Grant to make sure everything is going well. After my next appointment, I'll be safely into the 2nd trimester and will then start sharing the news publicly. Just a few more weeks everyone :) Thanks again for being great secret keepers!

5 comments:

  1. 8 weeks tomorrow....give or take a day or two...makes me think you two were messing around on February 13(Linz b-day) or February 14(Valentine's day)....Loving You////Daddio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna be a gramma, I'm gonna be a gramma...so exciting! Love, Gramma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Omamas/55199981670?ref=mf

    Just a little something to look forward to, My Linz, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting. Lindz, this is actually going to help me through wanting to be a mom. I remember how I felt Deidra's tummy when Piper kicked which was surreal to me, but listening to you really describe everything is totally awesome, I feel like I am there with you and I think it will make it less scary for me. Glad you are going first! Hee Hee :-)

    ReplyDelete